Popular Posts

Sunday, October 13, 2013

Bellingham Riot - Saturday 10/12/13

*This may be edited a couple of times because of new information

I was on Facebook last night, and started noticing a couple of posts about a riot, but I didn't think too much about it until more and more people were posting about it, and I saw comments about tear gas, SWAT team, etc.

When I came on Facebook this morning, my newsfeed was filled with riot posts (and became even more so when I kept on liking, commenting, clicking on those riot-related statuses, videos, and articles).

Here is what happened (according to The Western Front):
  • There was a riot "on Indian Street near Laurel Park"
  • "Police in riot gear used pepper balls, smoke and flash grenades"
  • "Hundreds of students gathered on the street were seen throwing beer bottles at passing Whatcom Transportation Authority buses and cars around 10:30 p.m., police said" - I've seen several people on Facebook say how they witnessed that happening
  • "People started throwing glass bottles beer, cans, and lawn chairs at police cars"
  • "Multiple street signs were pulled from the ground and thrown into the street" - I also saw many people post about uprooted stop signs on Facebook
  • A little after 11 was when police start releasing smoke grenades, etc. 
  • "The riot began after police broke up a large party on Jersey Street and Chestnut Street, (Lt. Mike) Johnson said"
EDIT: The Western Front posted a more complete story of the incident. Supposedly, Lt. Johnson said that no tear gas or sand bags were used, despite several witnesses' accounts stating otherwise. Most of the area was cleared out after midnight.

The Bellingham Herald took photographs of the scene.

EDIT: Even the Associated Press covered this incident.

WWU President Bruce Shepard and AS President Carly Roberts released a statement about the happenings of last night.

I find it interesting that the first three arrests were not Western students.

According to that statement, it was Western students who started cleaning up afterwards. Thankfully, I had known of that fact from being on Facebook and seeing people post about it.

This video was the first of the ones I have watched. It is seven minutes long and is from a spectator's point of view. Even at the very beginning, one of the first things you will notice is how much and how often glass is being thrown. At the end, you see a girl choking on tear gas.




This video is shorter, but you see it from a different perspective - as in I mean just from another spectator who is watching it from a different angle.

Here is a list of multiple claims I have seen on Facebook, and because many people said they witnessed these things happen, I can assume they're true, but maybe not:
  • Panic lights went off on campus (panic buttons being pushed all over on WWU's campus)
  • Someone at the riot was punched in the face
  • The Greencoats and RAs on campus were in all the buildings on the campus (whatever that means)
  • One of the parties was supposedly originally a Facebook event disguised as a birthday party and went viral, and the host of the event canceled it a half hour prior to it beginning
  • Supposedly there were two main parties that were busted that contributed most to the riot (a lot of accounts of this)
  • Police busted a party that was under control and threatened tickets to people who didn't leave
  • Some of the party-goers were mad and recruited people from other parties to start the riot
  • Police tear gassed, etc. some innocent bystanders, whether they were spectating or just walking by (multiple claims of this happening)
  • Spectators were told to disperse after a while or else they would be ticketed

First off,  police don't just bust parties for no reason. Usually it is a noise complaint from a neighbor that causes the police to do so. I also learned that the police will bust parties if they notice people around the house are heavily intoxicated, so they bust the party for the drunkards' (and others') safety.

Katherine Hales posted this one lovely comment on Facebook that reiterates how I feel about this issue (used with permission):

"If police were called the block party was not completely under control... cops don't show up at quiet get-togethers and start handing out tickets. Also from what I've heard there was a lot of underage drinking going on. Which is a very legitimate reason for busting a block party. It really bothers me when students in Bellingham complain about the police as though they're being oppressed or something. Bellingham has very nice cops and students are often way too loud and disrespectful for the residential areas they're living in. Sometimes college students need to be reminded that they're not the only people int he city... they're just the loudest. And being loud in public spaces late at night is not a right, it's just annoying."

Here is someone, who has asked to remain anonymous, on his/her experience with the riot last night:

"My friend and I were out for a walk, and we were asking people what happened. Apparently there was a "block party" on Jersey street, and a party at 1000 Indian. I was told the party was busted and some people decided they didn't want to be finished partying, so they began throwing beer bottles at the cop cars. Tear gas was used to get people to leave. There was broken glass everywhere and I almost tripped over an uprooted stop sign. I have never seen so many cop cars in my life. Apparently Bellingham also has a swat team, because they were there too. At one point they started telling people they would use chemical weapons and send people to jail if they kept standing outside and watching. I'm not entirely sure why people would think they're entitled to behave this way, but there you have it."

This witness also noted: "My friend of mine and I left after the cops told us to. Spectating doesn't excuse you from being a part of the problem."

Here is another video - it's pretty action-filled for three minutes, and includes an interview.



This video is after things have calmed down and shows images of the police and SWAT team.



EDIT: Rebecca Ortega sent me a link to her account of the riot, which I think y'all should check out.

EDIT: Check out this photo of the riot...let me warn you, it's entitled "riot twerking....at it's finest" - don't blame me for the bad grammar. The Daily Mail even covered the riot, and for some reason, the photo is highlighted. Geez, I feel like I'm more of a journalist than all of these others news outlets who are covering this.

EDIT: More pictures.

On the Western Washington Confessions Facebook page, someone posted this:

#1939 Obviously us freshmen started a project x riot. It was badass. Sorry you upperclassman are pussies that can't keep up. Fuck the police!! CLASS OF 2017 BITCHES

If this is not a troll...then I am concerned for the future of humanity (well, I was already, but even more so now).

I need to say that if anyone here is blaming the freshmen for the riot - you are just as much as a fucktard as anyone else in the state or the country who is blaming WWU students as a whole for the riot. There are many freshmen commenting that they would never have been a part of something like that, and for upperclassmen to please not judge the entire class of 2017 for what a few idiots did. I agree with them.

I saw this Tweet get backlash from those who think they are just trying to profit from the riot. Personally, I see nothing wrong with it. I do hope that those who are dumb enough to be a part of the riot are at least smart enough to get a lawyer. As for using the riot as a means of personal gain...why aren't these same people blaming The Western Front and The Bellingham Herald for their immediate responses to this incidence? Sure, maybe it's too educate those who don't know what went down and want to learn more. Couldn't they have waited until their normal publication dates to tell of these happenings, and teach patience to those who need the information now? How about those posting videos of what happened to their Youtube pages? Heck, why do you think I am writing about this?

Finally, the police.

I'm a libertarian, I am not supposed to be a fan of the police.

Personally, however, I am suspicious of the police, but I understand that there are good police officers. There has been a little bit of a debate whether or not what they did last night was police brutality, the arguments going more in favor to those who believe it was not.

From what I saw people posting about and on the videos, it seems they had justifiable cause to tear gas, etc. the rioters.

Many people complained how they were just walking by or observing and were also tear gassed, etc. I have no idea if this was after the fact the police stated that the crowds needed to disperse. This action is not one I condone, but overall, I think their reactions to the riot was acceptable.

What I am most worried about is that when investigators view the videos of the riot, they might arrest innocent bystanders whose faces were caught on camera.

A lot of people want those who were in the riot to be expelled. I find this to be a knee-jerk reaction. Whatever is already within school code is what should be implemented to these students - whether it be a fine, suspension, expulsion, etc., so be it.

Let's not blame the city of Bellingham, the local police, the students of Western Washington University, or the freshmen for the destructive actions and behaviors at the riot. I am embarrassed for the school because of the aftermath of this event, but I am not ashamed of being a Viking. Instead of trying to place blame on an entire group of people, let's laud those who try to uphold the values of the school, and especially to the students and other members of the community who cleaned up afterwards.

Please comment if you have stories, opinions, etc. that you want to share.

EDIT: Here is a petition by the school for you to sign if you are against the happenings of last night.

Become a Patron!

5 comments:

  1. I know I thought it might be tear gas too, but apparently it was only smoke. The police probably knew that we'd think it was tear gas, so that's probably why they used it. Not that regular smoke is fun to breathe...

    Having attended one busted party (last year), I can say that B'ham police are *initially* quite tolerant---they just want people to leave safely. They weren't even checking ID, not that I would have cared.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are my experiences as a guest of the Jersey St party and later being out on the streets. It definitely wasn't tear gas. It did seem to produce a tingling in your throat however, but perhaps that's placebo? My boyfriend picked up a can of the gas, it says it was just 'white gas'. The Block Party was held at an apartment complex where some of my friends live, including the girl who's birthday it was. It was meant to be a big party, and this complex has held a block party two years in a row. The party was not canceled ahead of time, it was scheduled to go on. The police likely arrived because they were tipped off about a large event on facebook, and last year the party got unruly apparently. They busted the party before anything happened, there were a lot of people, but nothing like bottle smashing or people damaging property.

    And no wfor my two cents. Throwing shit at the police and redirecting your drunk energy in violent ways is idiotic. On the other hand I don't think it's okay for the police to target/shoot innocent students. There were many people there, most of them only spectators or even trying to stop others from being violent. They were then confused and scared, trying to find friends, get home, etc. My boyfriend caught a video of a girl crossing the street and getting shot in the back of leg and falling to the ground. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ord1Gw6uunY It doesnt show the girl getting shot (our other friend has a video of it), but it shows the aftermath and includes commentary from a bike cop as they are carrying this shaken girl away. This is a perfect example of police targeting innocent people, which is overstepping their authority.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your clear-ups and sharing your experience of the situation.

      Delete
  3. "I'm a libertarian, I am not supposed to be a fan of the police."

    Why don't you let your opinions define your politics instead of using a "party alleigance" as your moral compass for political stance.
    This kind of writing is very weak for the sort of political opinion column post you have going on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yo, 'twas a joke! If you haven't noticed, this blog is not supposed to be taken too seriously (take note of the title)...except for when I actually am being serious.

      Delete