Popular Posts

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Why Miley Cyrus deserved to be one of TIME's "Person of the Year" nominees

I first wrote about Miley Cyrus in this post four months ago after her performance with Robin Thicke.

On Facebook in late November, I noticed that people were freaking about the nominees for TIME's "Person of the Year." Why? Because Miley Cyrus was on it.

Read more about it here.

People were complaining about how TIME has gone downhill and was proving itself to be more of a joke because of this.

It really annoyed me. What exactly - the fact Miley Cyrus was on the list or the fact people were going crazy over this?

Well, both...but mostly the latter.

First of all, READ THE DESCRIPTION OF WHAT MAKES A PERSON "PERSON OF THE YEAR."

On the poll, it says "Cast your vote for the person you think most influenced the news this year for better or worse."

"Person of the Year" is not who is the best all-around role model for the world to follow, it is about who sparked interest and for some reason or another has people talking about him or her and the subjects brought up because of that person. Miley Cyrus did exactly that.

Sure, it was pretty stupid how people were paying attention to her performance at the VMAs while people were either ignoring or were unaware (most likely the latter) of the matter with Syria, but like it or not, it produced a lot of discussion on rape culture, slut-shaming, racism, and feminism.

Then of course when the talk about that was dying out, her music video of her song "Wrecking Ball" was released, which showed her naked on a gigantic golf ball. People hated that she was "naked and provocatively riding the wrecking ball." I would not call that provocative at all, but whatever she was doing with the mallet...well, I will admit if they just deleted those scenes I would have probably thought the video was pretty well done. Then when she was wearing clothes, she had on a tank top...with no bra underneath! How scandalous! Really people? Grow up.

Print Miley cutouts and place them on friends' ornaments and see if anyone notices. Do it.
I am indifferent to Miley to be honest. It does frustrate me when I think of how hard I had to work to get my Hempfest post views higher than the one about Miley, but other than that, I just think she's human - she does stupid things, but can also say stuff of worth

Like this.

Did I think Miley Cyrus deserved to be the "Person of the Year" for 2013. Ehh, I don't think so...I mean, I didn't care to go through the list TIME produced and look at everyone of them, but I think the one I had noticed in the news the most were her, Edward Snowden, and Pope Francis. For those who don't know, Pope Francis got the 2013 title.

Seriously though, people - please read what the "Person of the Year" really is about before blabbing about why someone should not be on there.

To end this all, I leave you with a sage piece wisdom...





No comments:

Post a Comment