Popular Posts

Thursday, August 14, 2014

Happy 1st Birthday, La Commedia Politica!

Seattle Hempfest is coming up tomorrow, and for the preceding months, I could not believe it would be a year since I first went. (For those who want to learn about my experiences there, read this.) I remembered that I started writing my blog around the same time. A few days ago, I noticed my Introduction was published on 08/14/2013, and all I thought I would do was make a quick post about it on my Facebook profile and page, Liberty.me, and personal and campaign Twitter. Then I was like, "Wait a second, that is not a proper way to celebrate a birthday!" (Would you really want your cousin's birthday to be celebrated in the same exact way I described?) So despite all of the busy work I have to do concerning Hempfest this weekend, I decided to write this. (I briefly considered writing a birthday post on a non-birthday day, but I am not one of those people.)

Yes, some of the busy work involves being a speaker
EDIT: Check out my speech for the 2014 Seattle Hempfest.

For a few years, I was keeping my eyes out for a potential blogger to challenge the "leftists" and "liberals" of Bellingham and Washington. (Not that being a leftist or a liberal is bad at all, but I do not like circlejerks.) I considered blogging myself, but two things prevented me from doing so:

1) I did not feel like I knew enough politics, especially local politics. (I still struggle with keeping up with local politics.)

2) I thought I would run out of ideas to write about. (Ninety-eight drafts and published posts later...)

I cannot say what made me change my mind, but I had a huge writing itch, plus I wanted to have a comic outlet, thus La Commedia Politica.

Through my blog, I got to explore ideas that beforehand would have just simmered in my brain a bit then died off. Since I have this, I can quickly type in an idea for a post and save it for later...hence why I have so many drafts. When people think of writing, or at least when I do, they think of experts telling others what they know to be true. I had not given much thought to writing to come to a "conclusion" about an issue (why ever conclude anything?), but now it is a process I am aware of and enjoy immensely. 

Most importantly, through writing this blog, I have connected with people I already know, or some who I otherwise would not have really cared to get to know (and it hurts saying that). A wide variety of people read this. The poll I currently have up shows that we have everybody (but conservatives) who check in, which I found funny because I thought that this was a blog that would only appeal to libertarians (if even).

I want to thank you all for taking the time to read this post, visiting my blog, and posting insightful comments. It means the world to me that I get so much support from my readers.


1 comment:

  1. Keep up the good work.


    Mm, well, as somebody who enjoys a good green smoke from time to time, let's be honest; there ARE people who endanger the lives (and trips, heh) of others by driving under the influence. I'm entirely pro-legalization, but just like with alcohol, there are indeed going to be some idiots out there who recklessly endanger others by hitting the road (and, just like drunks, will surely say "but I drive great when I'm high").


    On a related note, I wish America would have a sensible chat about all drugs. I mean, it's bad enough that Americans have no qualms about alcohol, but severe resistance to everything else, even though we have enough stats about the effects of alcohol to know it's more dangerous than a lot of drugs.


    I enjoy Portugal's method: legalize all the drugs, and instead of arresting people, issuing them a date with a counselor (which, by the way, you don't ultimately have to go; it's a strong recommendation).


    At the end of the day, all drugs can be abused and mishandled by idiots, but really, that's true of almost everything (cars, for example). Ultimately, the best you can do is educate your populace on the effects, the downsides, the better alternatives, and not shame people or basically tell them that doing drugs is "ghetto" or "shady" or what have you.


    Have fun at Hempfest. Lucky you, living in a state with legalized pot :P

    ReplyDelete