Popular Posts

Monday, March 24, 2014

Koch-loving libertarians

Recently, I have noticed quite a few charts being shared by my libertarian friends showing how unions contribute more to political campaigns than the Koch brothers - David and Charles, who both identify as libertarians. The libertarians who I noticed sharing and like these kinds of identify as being "Koch-loving libertarians."



Well, I have something for you...

Dear "Koch-loving libertarians,"

It is hard to ignore the surplus of posts I have seen concerning the amount of political contributions from unions and the Koch brothers. Sure, I am dismayed at how much unions may have swayed elections from the amount of money they have funneled into select campaigns, but I am even more-so from seeing you all rejoicing at how the Koch brothers have contributed less than certain unions. While I am not for a limit on how much organization or individuals can give (although I am for transparency), I do not endorse such actions. Why? Let me ask you this: do you really think millions, or even just a mere thousands, of dollars will not have an impact on an election? Just think about what this money gets a campaign: advertisements, exposure, silencing the opposition or their supporters, etc. Even though you believe the Koch brothers have not given as much as unions, does that make them any more deserving of praise?

Is Serial Killer X better than Serial Killer Y because he/she killed less people than the other? Is Serial Killer X better than Serial Killer Y because at least X was a millionaire and donated millions to orphanages and animal shelters?

Of course, I hope you are smart enough to realize I am not comparing campaign donations to murder, I am just providing an illustration with something that is undoubtedly evil.

Not to mention, their contributions mainly go to Republican candidates and organizations, and that does not really help with our exclusive two-party political system.

I have no qualms about the Cato Institute and American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) receiving funding from the Koch brothers because at least from what I can tell, those organizations do not go about furthering their personal agenda, and seek to educate people.

Finally, how can you love the Koch brothers even though their companies get millions of dollars in subsidies? How does that make them free-market like they say they are? How does that make them libertarian?

Sincerely,

Katrina Haffner

Here is another chart I have come across.

2 comments:

  1. Its worth noting that I don't know many libertarians who support the Koch Brothers. However Its become a political catchword. Arguing with a progressive they just scream KOCH! like they won.

    To say I'ts ok for Koch to do something because the liberals do it would be a red herring. but Its not irrelevant. Personally I do not know the facts of what exactly gets spent. Buts freaking annoying hearing about the damn Koch brothers day in and day out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have researched this topic extensively, and I have not seen any evidence of Koch Industries getting direct subsidies. Everyone is saying they do, but without evidence.

    ReplyDelete