Popular Posts

Sunday, August 24, 2014

Miley Cyrus and My Friend's Place

Social media is going wild over Miley Cyrus winning Video of the Year for "Wrecking Ball" at the 2014 MTV Video Music Awards...except it is not really because she won. Instead of accepting the award herself, she sent up "Jesse" - someone who has had to deal with homelessness in his youth. You can read more at Rolling Stone.

I have written twice about Miley Cyrus on my blog so far - once for her performance with Robin Thicke, and the other on why she deserved to be nominated for TIME's Person of the Year in 2013. This time, I am really glad to be writing about her. There are a lot of comments from people that this was just a publicity stunt.

So it is...for a good cause. I cannot put it any better than my friend, Sarah Harvard:

"Why do we shut down people from doing good things or attempting to do good things?

We may think it's a gimmick, but she gave an opportunity to a homeless teen and brought more awareness to the issue than before."


So many acts of charity are being dismissed - from the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge to the Pay It Forward line that formed at a Starbucks in Florida. Who cares if these causes are being propelled and hyped up by the media? As long as there are tangible benefits and awareness being brought to them, I believe it is worth it.

When I first heard of Miley Cyrus sending up Jesse to accept her award, it reminded me of when a certain actor from The Godfather won Best Actor at the 45th Annual Academy Awards in 1973.

Now that we have that out of the way, it is time to discuss the most important part of all of this...
It was almost like Miley Cyrus knew she was going to win all along! What if Beyonce had won instead? Poor Jesse would not have had his time to shine and share with us his story and of other homeless youths. Are there other oppressed people sitting next to celebrities, just hoping that the celebrity wins the award so that they can tell the world how they have been hidden away from society and how we can help?? Then freakin' Adele wins instead and hogs the spotlight.
Thanks, Adele. Six wins in one night, and in the process, you obliterate the voices of at least six different people from the shadows.
It makes me think that the winners know ahead of time, so that their victimized comrades will be guaranteed speaking time. However, I am not a conspiracy theorist - that would be these people. I do not believe that our beloved celebrity award ceremonies would lie to us like that.
Enough of my nonsense. Go check out My Friend's Place right now. I, as your Libertarian Overlord Katrina Haffner, coerce you.

No comments:

Post a Comment